Iowa Western Community College hosts soil judging event
COUNCIL BLUFFS — Iowa Western Community College hosted the 2012 Southwest FFA District Soils Evaluation event Sept. 26 on the Council Bluffs campus.
The overall purpose of the event is to motivate students to gain knowledge on surface features, the soil profile, land capability and productivity, evaluation of land use and management practices and suitability of soils for nonagricultural uses. In addition, the event helps to develop the ability in students to observe selected soil properties and interpret and evaluate those properties for recommendations for land use.
Students completed a knowledge exam and scored four separate soil pits. Six teams of four students each will advance to the State Soils Evaluation near Ames next month.
The Orient-Macksburg team, consisting of Merritt Caviness, Chantz Davidson, Tom Walter and Cole Tanner, placed fifth and will advance.
More Local News
- Growing: Friends of Library garden tour in its third year
- Livestock, horticulture state fair entries due July 1
- Small businesses honored during SWCC business conference
- Afton PreFourth Celebration planned
- Dr. Weis joins Family Vision Center