Fog/Mist
36°FFog/MistFull Forecast

Fire destroys home on South Birch

Published: Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012 2:41 p.m. CST • Updated: Friday, Dec. 21, 2012 12:04 p.m. CST

The remains of a home owned by John and Nancy Myers, 302 S. Birch St., is beyond repair after an early morning fire 4:03 a.m. Thursday.

According to Creston Fire Chief Todd Jackson, the cause of the blaze is undetermined. "We do not suspect anything suspicious," said Jackson. "No space heaters, candles or anything unusual were found."

In a personal account of the incident, Nancy Myers reported to Creston Fire Department her husband was at work when the fire began.

"Apparently the smoke detector went off, which caused the dog to bark, which woke her up," said Jackson.

High wind and blizzard conditions Thursday morning were concerning to Jackson. He said his first priority was to put fire crews on the neighboring house.

"My fear was having a whole row of houses in flames," said Jackson.

The first crew that arrived tackled the ceiling of the ground level floor which caused debris to drop on the crew.

"It doesn't look that bad on the outside," said Jackson. "But, the inside is gone."

The home, which reached a flash point of 1,200 degrees, was completely destroyed beyond repair. According to John Myers, a lot of work has been put in to the house since he and his wife first purchased it in 1994, but did not currently have insurance on the home.

"It had a new roof, a few new windows, and a new furnace," said John Myers.

Myers wonders if faulty wiring was to blame.

"It's just one of those things," said Myers.

According to Jackson, no further investigation will be done. Estimated loss is $50,000.

More News

Reader Poll

Creston City Council is considering implementing a franchise fee on all Alliant gas and electric customers within city limits? What percentage should they set the franchise fee at?
1 percent
2 percent
3 percent
4 percent
5 percent