Mutual decision to suspend game
HARLAN — Weather caused a variety of delays and postponements around the state Friday.
Fifth-ranked Carroll beat Spencer 42-14 after severe weather warnings pushed the opening kickoff past 10:15 p.m. Ottumwa and Mason City, with 200 miles between the cities, decided to finish Friday no matter what, and concluded at 12:30 a.m. Saturday.
Creston/O-M coach Brian Morrison said he was fully on board with the decision to suspend play in Harlan early enough Friday to get back to Creston at a decent hour for Saturday’s return trip. He was not in favor of the original proposal to finish it Sunday.
The freshman game was moved to 6 p.m. tonight in Harlan when officials decided early Friday to push the varsity kickoff Friday to 6 p.m. instead of 7:30.
“They called the state,” Morrison said. “It wasn’t a rushed decision. Todd Tharp (IHSAA official) said it could be two to four hours of bad weather. So, it was either stay here until 10:30 with a start time, or knowing we might have to play Saturday, get back earlier to get over here again. That’s not the reason we got beat.”
However, Harlan coach Curt Bladt said there were advantages of not traveling.
“To drive two hours home, then turn around the next day and drive two hours back — it absolutely didn’t give them any benefit at all,” Bladt said. “We went right home last night and broke down film and we came in this morning and had the kids in the auditorium looking at the first half. It was a great advantage for us, and I think you can see the difference that it did make.”
— Larry Peterson, CNA sports writer