61°FFog/MistFull Forecast

The heat is on

Creston Schools to have heated bus barn

Published: Friday, Feb. 14, 2014 11:06 a.m. CDT • Updated: Friday, Feb. 14, 2014 12:23 p.m. CDT

Turn up the heat.

Creston School District’s bus barn will have heated concrete after findings from a state code came to light during the regularly scheduled December board meeting.

According to the code, the bus barn will have to have a concrete floor.

Originally, the board decided to store some buses outside, but through a city code, it was discovered all vehicles had to be housed in a building. Then, the board decided to give the building a gravel floor, but then the Iowa code came to light.

“There’s an actual state fire code that determines what sort of surface can be constructed in a facility like the one we’re planning,” said Steve McDermott, Creston School District superintendent. “For some reason, that code says that surface must be a hard surface.”

This change also changed the cost of the building. Insurance will cover 57 percent of the cost of the building, based on the original building cost, while the school district will pay for the remaining 43 percent.

And, because of the concrete floor, radiant heat will be used in the steel building.

Radiant heat is a process that transfers radiant energy from one heat source to another. It is a common heating process for outdoor buildings, and can be placed under the floor, in walls or in ceiling panels, and heats people or objects rather than air, which is a more direct path for heat to travel.

“We have determined that, actually, it will be more thrifty to do radiant heat in the floor rather than plugging in engine block heaters into every bus overnight,” McDermott said.

McDermott said the plans for the building have been altered, and he hopes the final drawings will be done in the near future.

“Those will then be checked by the state fire marshal’s office before they go out for bids,” said McDermott.

McDermott also said there’s a four-week turnaround for the plans to be checked by the fire marshal’s office.

“But, right now,” said McDermott, “in general terms, our timeline is to be breaking ground in April and certainly to have the building completed by the start of school in the fall.”

Reader Poll

What returning TV show are you most excited for this fall?
Empire (FOX)
Big Bang Theory (CBS)
The Voice (NBC)