From Monica McCarthy, Union County Democratic Party chairperson
At the end of this month, March 31, the enrollment period for the Affordable Health Care Act for 2014 will end. If you do not have health insurance, act now to get proper, affordable coverage.
Marketplace insurance plans are available now. Time is running out to get enrolled for this year.
Facts you need to know:
• Marketplace insurance does now offer coverage for pre-existing conditions.
• Lifetime limits on coverage has come to an end.
• Many savings and rebates are available for consumers.
• Coverage is still available for young adults under their parents’ plan.
• Tax credits are included for small businesses, plus lower and middle income families.
• Coverage can permit individuals to find coverage for as low as $100 per month or less.
• This does not affect persons covered with Medicare or Medicaid. It does not affect choices or benefits of these plans.
The government website is up and running. Resources available to help with your insurance decisions are www.HealthCare.gov and www.ACAFinancialHelp.com. You can also get help in person by calling 1-800-318-2596.
Having proper, affordable Health Care has nothing to do with politics, where you live or how much money you have. This is about peace of mind for you and your family. The real emphasis of this act is prevention. Getting prevention services on a regular basis with well check-ups so you and all family members can see a doctor before an illness occurs.
Remember, the leading cause of personal bankruptcy is enormous medical bills that a person cannot afford to pay. There is no reason to have this happen to you. With proper coverage you need not worry about a sudden illness or injury wreaking havoc on your finances.
Act now. Call or get online. Get you and your family coverage now while it is still available — before March 31. It is crunch time.