The city of Creston has an opening on the Historical Preservation Commission. This person should have a strong interest in the history of Creston and in working toward the goals of the commission which are:
• Promote the educational, cultural, economic and general welfare of the public through the recognition, enhancement and perpetuation of sites and districts of historical and cultural significance;
• Safeguard the city’s historic, aesthetic and cultural heritage by preserving sites and districts of historic and cultural significance;
• Stabilize and improve property values;
• Foster pride in the legacy of beauty and achievements of the past;
• Protect and enhance the city’s attractions to tourists and visitors and the support and stimulus to business thereby provided;
• Strengthen the economy of the city;
• Promote the use of sites and districts of historic and cultural significance as places for the education, pleasure, and welfare of the people of the City.
The person must also reside with Creston city limits.
The commission is working toward achieving Certified Local Government (CLG) status with the State Historical Society in order to qualify for local grants on historic structures.
Respond to Mayor Warren Woods at firstname.lastname@example.org or bring a letter of interest to the city clerk’s office in the restored depot. For further information about t––he Historical Preservation Commission, visit the city website at crestoniowa.gov.