GREENFIELD — Adair County Health System (ACHS) has entered into an agreement to implement a suite of state-of-the-art health information technology (IT) solutions from Kansas City-based Cerner Corporation, including a secure electronic health record (EHR) system. The EHR system eliminates the need for paper patient health records and acts as the single source of truth for accurate health information.
The new technology provides ACHS clinicians with access to medical best practices and ensures they have access to the right information at the right time at the point of care. Implementing this technology will also assist ACHS in qualifying for Medicare and Medicaid financial reimbursements provided for in the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act for hospitals that demonstrate meaningful use of health information technology.
Other benefits from the new system for ACHS include:
• Ensuring medication safety. When prescribing medications, physicians can access a patient’s medical history, including allergies and diagnostic results, to ensure accurate medication administration.
• Reducing medical errors. If a physician were to inadvertently prescribe an adult dose to a child, the decision support features within the system would alert him or her of the potential overdose, as well as drug interactions and alternatives.
• Providing quality care. The use of standardized treatment guidelines promotes evidence-based, effective and consistent care for every patient while enabling quality improvement and operational efficiency.
• Reducing transcription errors. All care is documented electronically, virtually eliminating the possibility of errors because of illegible handwriting.
• Improving access to information. Clinicians have instant access to patient information when and where they need it and no longer have to spend time searching for misplaced paper charts.
Additional Cerner solutions will digitize processes in multiple departments, providing instant access to clinical information and integrating workflow with the patient’s EHR. The solutions automate nursing communication, intensive care unit operations, clinician documentation, image management, pharmacy and laboratory operations, medication administration processes, patient accounting and surgery operations.
“Adair County Health System is committed to providing quality care for our community,” said Angela Mortoza, CEO at ACHS. “Implementing Cerner as our EHR is a step towards making sure our patients’ information is accurate and easily accessible to all of the providers at Adair County Health System.”