CHARITON — Time is running out to register for one of five Iowa workshops featuring grazing consultant Jim Gerrish. Set for Aug. 18-22, each workshop includes classroom discussions and pasture walks at local farms with Gerrish as the featured speaker, according to Iowa State University Extension and Outreach beef program specialist Joe Sellers.
“The fee for each session is $40 for the public or $20 for current IFGC, ICA or PFI members. Walk-in registration is $10 extra,” Sellers said. “A Gerrish session is included in both the 2014 greenhorn grazing and 2014 certified grazier registration fees, so there is no additional cost for participants in those courses. Fees are payable to Lucas County Extension or to the local site coordinator.”
Topics include maintaining plant diversity to increase production and environmental benefits, using annual and perennial forage crops in your grazing system, and reducing cow costs with extended grazing.
“Jim’s experience includes more than 20 years of beef forage systems research as a University of Missouri faculty member as well as 20 years of commercial cattle and sheep production on his family farm,” Sellers said.
Sellers, who is a beef program specialist with Iowa Beef Center (IBC) and primary organizer of the series, said each local meeting also includes brief updates on current Iowa forage and beef production topics.
“Presenters from IBC, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Practical Farmers of Iowa and Iowa Cattlemen’s Association will share their expertise and information,” he said. “The host farmers also will talk about their experiences with a variety of pasture techniques.”
The session dates, times, and locations are below. For more information or to preregister for any location, contact Sellers by phone at 641-203-1270 or email at email@example.com.
• 10:30 a.m. Forage plot tour/lunch at McNay Farm, Chariton
• 1 p.m. Grazing workshop at McNay Farm, Chariton
• 5 p.m. Pasture walk/barbecue at Jeff Lutz farm, Powersville, Mo.
• 10:30 a.m. Pasture walk at Dan Hostetler Farm, Grand River
• Noon Lunch/grazing workshop at the Clarke County Fairgrounds, Osceola
• 5 p.m. Pasture walk/barbecue at Justin Rowe farm, Macksburg
• 1 p.m. Grazing workshop at Maxwell Community Center, Maxwell
• 4:30 p.m. Pasture walk/barbecue at Bruce Carney farm, Maxwell
• 9 a.m. Pasture walk at John Schulte Farm, Norway
• 1 p.m. Grazing workshop/lunch at Jones County Extension office, Monticello
• 5 p.m. Pasture walk/barbecue at Dave Lubben farm, Monticello
• 1 p.m. Grazing workshop at Lee County Extension office, Donnellson
• 4:30 p.m. Pasture walk/barbecue at Mark Hulsebus farm, Donnellson