Some of the highlights of the eight-day western excursion taken by six members of the Nodaway Valley cross country team and coach Darrell Burmeister:
Saturday, July 26
• Leave from Nodaway Valley High School, 7 a.m.
• Mitchell, S.D., stop at Mitchell Corn Palace, “The World’s Only Corn Palace.”
• Check in at Hillcrest Motel cabins, Wall, S.D. Stop at famous Wall Drug.
* Drive through Badlands at sunset.
Sunday, July 27
• Tour through Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Black Hills National Forest, Lead, Rapid City, Sturgis, Spearfish, Minutemen Missile Site.
• Enter Wyoming, stop at Devils Tower Monument and run trail.
• Drive through coal country. Stop at Gillette for overnight stay.
Monday, July 28
• Drive around Gillette area, coal mines.
• “Running with the Camels,” workout with Campbell County High School Camels cross country team at Dalbey Memorial Park. Team owns 38 Wyoming state cross country team championships, nationally ranked.
• Drive through Casper, then to Independence Rock on the Oregon Trail. If pioneers reached this rock by July 4, they could safely make it over the mountains to the far west before winter set in.
• Arrive in Rawlins, Wyo., for overnight stay.
Tuesday, July 29
• Leave for Salt Lake City, Utah. Check into dorms at University of Utah early afternoon.
• Camp session 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Warm-up at Sunnyside Park.
• Hike up mountain to see sunset and listen to outdoor concert by Carlos Santana.
Wednesday, July 30
• Camp session 8:30 a.m., to 4:30 p.m. Willow Creek Trail run at Park City. Running form analysis and questions and answers with University of Utah runners. Afternoon tail run.
Thursday, July 31
• Camp sessions, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Pipeline Trail run. Discussion of running injuries and strength and conditioning tips. Canyon hill repeat runs.
• Attend Salt Lake Bees Triple A baseball game.
Friday, Aug. 1
• Camp session, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Bonneville Shoreline trail run to the track. Camp question and answer. Tour of U of Utah Division I facilities, including training facility with underwater treadmills with six cameras. Information about NCAA rules and regulations.
• Arrive in Laramie, Wyo., and tour of University of Wyoming campus, drive through Snowy Range in Medicine Bow Mountains.
Saturday, Aug. 2
• Morning run before departing for Grand Island, Neb., for overnight stay.
Sunday, Aug. 3
• Stop in “Big Red” country with tour of Memorial Stadium and other parts of University of Nebraska campus in Lincoln, as well as the state capitol.
• Arrive in Greenfield.