Overcast
30°FOvercastFull Forecast

Fire marshal reports causes of death for Creston woman

Published: Friday, Aug. 29, 2014 11:00 a.m. CST • Updated: Friday, Aug. 29, 2014 11:02 a.m. CST

The causes of death for 23-year-old Jessica Luke — who died after a fire started in her residence on South Division Street in Creston July 2 — have been released.

A state fire marshal’s reports shows Luke died of both carbon monoxide poisoning from smoke inhalation and acute mixed drug intoxication. The fire started from “careless discarding of smoking materials.” It’s believed Luke fell asleep with a smoldering cigarette in her hand, which fell and then caught a mattress on fire.

The report showed smoke detectors were present in the house, but were not working. The report did not identify which drugs were in Luke’s system.

Local firefighters did contain the fire to the mattress in a bedroom that day. There was light smoke damage to the house. Carol Coppola, 65, was also a resident of the house. She was treated at Greater Regional Medical Center and later released.

Comments

Reader Poll

Creston City Council is considering implementing a franchise fee on all Alliant gas and electric customers within city limits? What percentage should they set the franchise fee at?
1 percent
2 percent
3 percent
4 percent
5 percent